From Genesis To Revelation

Friday, October 21, 2011

Worldly Sorrow vs Godly Sorrow

So Esau lifted his voice and wept.
Genesis 27:38

In Genesis 25:27–34, Esau gave us an example of the power of the flesh when he chose the bowl of stew over his birthright. Esau chose the temporal over the eternal. He despised his birthright and considered it of no more value than a single meal, and now he is experiencing the consequences of his choice.

Esau returns from the hunt to receive his blessing to discover that the blessing has already been given to Jacob. Esau then begins to weep, yet his sorrow is worldly sorrow, not heavenly sorrow (2 Corinthians 7:9–10). Esau cries the same tears that Cain cried in Genesis 4:13–14. He weeps only for himself and the consequences he will suffer. His sorrow is not one that leads to repentance, but one that comes from selfishness and leads only to death.

In Hebrews 12:15–17 we are warned to be sure that no one comes short of the grace of God. We are warned that there be no immoral or godless persons like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal. When he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, no matter how many tears he cried, because his tears were not tears of repentance.

How many of us will stand before the throne of God on the day of our judgment and pour out tears of sorrow without repentance, having despised our birthright through the blood of Jesus Christ, having chosen the pleasures of this present world over the eternal kingdom of Christ?

Esau didn’t realize that the birthright was the blessing. He only saw the loss of ownership of his father’s earthly treasures. Our birthright is eternal life through being “born again” (John 3:3), our adoption as God’s child through the redemption of Jesus Christ on the cross (Romans 8:15–17).

When we refuse Christ, we refuse the Holy Spirit and we deny our birthright. “See to it that you do not refuse Him who is speaking” (Hebrews 12:25).

Oh precious one, what blessing of your Father do you seek?
Do you seek the blessing of health, wealth, and prosperity?
Or do you seek the blessing of God in Christ Jesus?

“How blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered! How blessed is the man to whom the Lord does not impute iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit!” (Psalm 32:1–2).

Oh Father,

How I thank You for my life, my new life in Christ. Oh Father, help me to keep my heart soft and quick to repent. May my tears be tears of repentance and Godly sorrow. In those moments that I fail You, this is the promise You have given: that is if I confess my sins, You will be faithful to forgive me and cleanse me from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). I know that You know my heart, and in this I rejoice and in this I fear, but more do I rejoice.

My Jesus, it is in Your name I pray,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment