From Genesis To Revelation

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Rebels Without A Cause

They said,
“Come let us build for ourselves a city,
and a tower whose top will reach into heaven, and let us make for ourselves a name, otherwise we will be scattered abroad
over the face of the whole earth.”
Genesis 11:4

God had just recently destroyed the earth because of the wickedness of man’s heart, and here, only three generations after the flood, man again rose in rebellion to the Creator. God specifically told Noah and his three sons to “be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth” (Genesis 9:1), and now mankind refused to obey.

Those who built the tower of Babel had the same spirit of rebellion in them that was within Satan himself—the spirit, the attitude, that says “I will be my own God.” Can we ever really grasp the wickedness of our own hearts, the spirit of rebellion that lives within us?

I believe we do when we are in Christ. There was a time in my life when I said in my heart that I would be my own God. I would make my own choices, and I would make them with no regard as to how they affected others.

I said this in my heart while with my mouth I said I loved God. I honored God with my lips but my heart was far from him (Matthew 15:8). I never really saw the deep-rooted wickedness within me until I came to know my Savior. When I saw myself through His eyes, I finally understood how much I needed Him.

Still, every day I see more clearly how I could never measure up on my own. My sin was and is great. I still struggle with rebellion—rebellion against authority. I pray that I shall never shake my fist in the face of God again.

I have lifted my voice up to my Father, and I pray that He would remove me from this earth before I blasphemed His name (Romans 2:24) among the lost again. I know that there will be many times that I am slow to obey and will question my God because I am still in this flesh and in this world, but as for bold-face, open rebellion, I pray that by His grace, I never take that route again.

Oh Father,
I am so grateful for Your forgiveness. I am thankful that You chose me to be Yours. I am forever humbled by Your mercy and grace and Your love for me. Oh, how I worship You. You are all that I need. You are my everything. As the psalmist cried out, oh God, please do not take your word from me (Psalm 119:43). I would perish without it. How I hold on to Your promises. They are my strength. My Jesus, teach me to walk in Your ways and obey Your words. May I scatter when you say scatter. May I be fruitful and be a part of multiplying Your kingdom upon this earth.

My Jesus, I love You.
It is in Your name I pray,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment