From Genesis To Revelation

Friday, November 18, 2011

Leave A Legacy Not A Tragedy

Now these are the records
of the generations of Esau (that is Edom).
Genesis 36:1

This entire chapter is dedicated to the descendants of Esau by his three wives. As we read through this list of genealogy, we see the names of so many nations that are enemies to the nation of Israel, from past history to present day. It never ceases to amaze me the weight that our choices have on our future and on the future of our children.

In Deuteronomy 5:9–10, we read “I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing lovingkindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.”

You see this truth played out in the genealogies of Esau. You can see this truth being played out in the world today. When one generation chooses to not honor God, to not obey His commandments, to not teach them to their children, we quickly see the sad results.

My parents were taught the Word of God in school. I was not. Now my children are in a day where the Word of God is not simply neglected in school, but it is ridiculed and disdained. You see, our actions always have reactions and our disobedience and sin always have consequences.

Do you not rejoice that our salvation is according to us individually and is not hinged on the obedience of others?

Thanks be to the divine intervention of the power of Christ and being made new in Him. In Christ we have a future and a hope no matter what lies behind us or before us. In Christ our salvation is not dependant on our nation, our ethnicity, our gender, our race. It is our own personal faith.

Oh Father,

I so desire to leave a legacy and not a tragedy. Help me to make wise choices according to Your wisdom and not my own. May I never forget that I am a sower of seed. May I never forget that my children are watching me. May I never forget that there are eyes on me who are searching out the reality of You. Might they see in me how You are to be honored and worshiped and obeyed.

My Jesus, it is in Your name that I pray,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment