From Genesis To Revelation

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Son of My Right Hand

Then they journeyed from Bethel;
and when there was still some distance to go
to Ephrath, Rachel began to give birth
and she suffered severe labor.
Genesis 35:16

In Genesis 31:28 Jacob wrestled with the angel. When Jacob cried out for the blessing, the angel said, “Your name shall no longer be Jacob, but Israel; for you have striven with God and with men and have prevailed.”

The Lord has given him this new name. This new name points us toward the nation that God said He would make through Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. We will see Jacob and Israel interchanged throughout the rest of the Scriptures.

Here in Genesis 35, God addresses Jacob as Israel. God reminds him that a nation and a company of nations will come from him, and kings also shall come from him. And what we know today is that the King of kings shall come from him.

Israel is on his way home, to the land of his fathers. Rachel again conceives a child. Possibly, her pregnancy was one of the reasons that Jacob chose to set up camp at Shechem.

On the journey from Shechem to Bethel, Rachel goes into labor. They have to stop at Ephrath, which today is called Bethlehem. Let that sink in for a moment. I believe it is no accident that Rachel goes into labor in Bethlehem.

The Prophet Micah declared,

But as for you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
too little to be among the clans of Judah,
from you One will go forth for Me to be ruler in Israel.
His goings forth are from long ago,
from the days of eternity.
Therefore He will give them up
until the time when she who is in labor
has borne a child.
Micah 5:2–3

Rachel has trouble in her labor. The midwife tries to encourage her by telling her she has another son. Rachel, however, knows that she is dying; her last words are in the naming of her son. She names him Ben-oni, which means “the son of my sorrow.” Jacob, however, changes his name and calls him Benjamin, which means “the son of my right hand.”

There are no coincidences with God. In the birth of this son, God gives us a beautiful picture of the comings of Christ. When Jesus came to the earth the first time, he came as the son of sorrow. He came to bear our sin and the sins of the world on His shoulders. He came the first time to die a substitutional death on the cross.

Oh, but, precious one, rejoice because He also is Benjamin, the Son of God’s right hand. “When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high” (Hebrews 1:3). When Jesus comes again, He will come in all His glory.

Oh Father,

How I thank You for my salvation. My Jesus, thank You for coming to bear my sins, to make the way for me to be forgiven and reconciled to God. ThankYou for now being my High Priest who stands at the right hand of God, interceding on my behalf (Hebrews 8:1).
My Jesus, thank You for the truth that I know You are coming again. The first time You came concerning sin, but the next time You will come for salvation, without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await (Hebrews 9:28). Come quickly, my Jesus. How I look forward to the day when all eyes will see You in Your glory; When all will know and when none can deny that You are King of kings and Lord of lords.

My Jesus, it is in Your name I pray,
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment