From Genesis To Revelation

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Believing Without Seeing

They told him saying,
“Joseph is still alive,
and indeed he is ruler
over all the land of Egypt.’
But he was stunned,
for he did not believe them.”
Genesis 45:26

Mary Magdalene leaves the feet of the risen Christ and runs to share the glorious news to the disciples, and “when they heard that He was alive and had been seen by her, they refused to believe it” (Mark 16:11).

How many refuse to believe, but refusing the truth does not make it any less true. Jesus has risen. He lives to make intercession on behalf of those who believe and receive him as Savior. He is our eternal high priest (Hebrews 7:23–25).

When Jacob heard that Joseph was alive, he did not believe. He was stunned, just as the disciples were stunned by the news of Jesus Christ. Their disbelief did not come from a stubborn and unrepentant heart, but of stunned reaction that such wonderful news could really be accurate. Their unbelief quickly became belief, and in this, they rejoiced and rushed to be reconciled to the One whom once was dead but now was alive.

Joseph was alive, and he was ruler over all of Egypt and the surrounding lands because God had given him the ability to give life. In John 5:21 Jesus says, “For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son also gives life to whom He wishes.” Joseph had limited power to give and sustain life to those who would come and seek his grain. He is just a small picture of the reality of Jesus Christ. Jesus has all power and all authority; the life He offers is eternal. There are no limits to the power of Jesus Christ.

When Jacob heard the words that Joseph had sent through his brothers, and when he saw the wagons filled with the gifts from Joseph, Jacob believed. There was one disciple that held on to his unbelief a little longer than the rest, and Jesus said to him, “Reach here with your fingers, and see My hands; and reach here with your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing.” He then said, “Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed” ( John 20:27, 29).

Jacob didn’t have to physically see Joseph to believe he lived; he responded to Joseph’s sent word and the evidence that his word was true. We have not physically seen the risen Lord Jesus, but we respond to His sent Word (John 17:20, Romans 10:14) and the evidence (James 2:18) that His Word is true. Blessed are those who believe yet do not see.

Oh, precious one, have you believed?
And if so are you sending out the Word to others?

Oh Father,

My Jesus is alive! He is the ruler of heaven and earth; in Him I believe and I rejoice. My Jesus, You are my King. You are my Lord. I lay at Your feet, prostrate before You in complete adoration and awe of the beauty of Your majesty. Though I have never seen Your face, I know that You are.
Oh, my Father, what a glorious day it will be when my Jesus I shall see, when I look upon His face, the one who saved me by His grace. Oh Father, here I am; my Jesus here I am. I worship You!

My Jesus, it is in Your name I pray,
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment