From Genesis To Revelation

Saturday, December 10, 2011

Now I See

But Joseph had recognized his brothers, although they did not recognize him.
Genesis 42:8

In the previous devotion we discussed how Joseph’s brothers’ ignorance in recognizing who he would be allowed him to become who he is now, second in power over all of Egypt. We learned how their sin against him was used by God to save them and the world. Now their sin once again keeps them from recognizing him, even when he stands right in front of them.

Joseph had power over his brothers not just because of the authority of the position he held, but also because of the advantage he held in the knowledge that his brothers would only recognize him if he chose to reveal himself to them. The whens, wheres, and hows were all completely in Joseph’s control.

For you see, Joseph’s brothers could not recognize him because they were not looking for him. If they had been searching for him with all their heart, they would have recognized him immediately.

You see, the brothers were not looking for Joseph because to find Joseph would mean they would be faced with the guilt of their sin, and this guilt they wanted to keep hidden.

When I read this verse in Genesis and this part of Joseph’s life, I am reminded of Luke 24:15–14: “While they were talking and discussing, Jesus Himself approached and began traveling with them. But their eyes were prevented from recognizing Him.” When Peter made his confession in Matthew 16:16, Jesus replied, “Flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.”

We are so blinded by our own sin and by the god of this world, Satan (2 Corinthians 4:4) that we cannot and could not see God if He did not reveal Himself to us. We would not even know to look for Him if He did not call out for us. To find Him means we must come face-to-face with our sin against Him. We, like the brothers, want to keep this sin hidden.

God, in His great mercy and grace, reveals Himself to us through His creation (Psalm 19:1–6), through His Word (Psalm 19:7–13), and through Jesus Christ (Psalm 19:14). God has never left us without a witness or without signs declaring that He exists and He is God. Psalm 65:8 says, “They who dwell in the ends of the earth stand in awe of Your signs.”

It doesn’t matter where we are or who we are, God has revealed Himself openly, outwardly, and publicly to all men. Not only this, but God calls us each individually through His gospel, the good news of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:22–32).

Oh, how He loves us! We think we need to hide our sin. We think as long as it is hidden then no consequences will come. However, He knows that this sin, which we think is well hidden, is killing us. He has provided the cure for this disease that ends in death. He has opened the door, has a free clinic (Revelation 22:17); all we have to do is believe and receive.

Oh Father,

I love You! Thank You for revealing Yourself to me. Thank You for seeking me and choosing me. Thank You for opening my eyes to the depth of my sin against You through Your Word, through Your law. Thank You for providing the way by which I and any who would come can be saved. You are worthy of all my praise. All glory belongs to You! My Jesus, I worship You, the Author and Finisher of my faith. You are my Lord and my God. You are my Rock and Redeemer. You are He who cleansed me of all unrighteousness and clothed me in Your own. You revealed Yourself to me, and You called me by name. I once was blind, but oh, now I see! All praise to You, my King.

My Jesus, it is in Your name I pray,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment