From Genesis To Revelation

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Trusting in Forgiveness

When Joseph’s brothers saw that their father was dead, they said, “What if Joseph bears a grudge against us and pays us back in full for all the wrong which we did to him!”
Genesis 50:15

Are you still holding on to guilt from a sin that God has long since forgiven you? Joseph’s brothers, after all these years, still have not trusted in his forgiveness. They still live in fear of his wrath. They could not grasp the love and forgiveness of Joseph that was his because of the faith in God that he treasured in his heart.

We can only experience forgiveness when we trust the word of the forgiver.

Joseph’s brothers concoct a message for Joseph, claiming that Jacob sent word by them, asking him to forgive them. The brothers come and fall down again before the feet of a weeping Joseph. Joseph wept not from the pain of what his brothers had done to him, but from the realization that his brothers had not believed and trusted in his word of forgiveness.

Joseph replies, “Do not be afraid, for I am in God’s place. As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive” (Genesis 50:19–20).

Joseph had an amazing walk with God. We have no record of him ever doubting the sovereignty of God. I believe Joseph was able to forgive his brothers because he knew the wickedness of his own heart. He knew that it was only by his faith in God and his respect of God that he was who he was.

Jesus looks at us, and he says, “Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me” (John 14:1). Believe in what He says; trust in all He promises. Adjust your life to His Word.

Joseph had given his brothers his word that he had forgiven them, but his brothers had not united that word with faith. God has given us His word that if we admit that we are a sinner, confess our sins, believe that Jesus Christ died for our sins and rose again so that we might have eternal life, He would save us. We have His Word; we now too must trust His Word and unite it with faith. “For indeed we have had good news preached to us, just as they also; but the word they heard did not profit them, because it was not united by faith in those who heard” (Hebrews 4:2).

Oh, precious one, are you walking in what you know?

Faith is not just saying the truth and saying you believe. It is a surrender to those words; a surrender that produces action. My friend, are you wholly surrendered to Christ?

Oh Father,

Thank you for sending Christ. The enemy of my soul and the wickedness of my own heart nailed Christ to the cross. The cross was meant for evil, meant to destroy and to do away with, but you, my God, intended it for good, to bring about the present result, to preserve many people alive. “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life” (John 3:16). Oh, my Jesus, my Savior, my King, I praise You, for I know that Your suffering was not and never will be in vain. My Jesus, You endured the cross for the joy set before You (Hebrews 12:2). You endured the cross for me, not because I was worthy, not because You owed it to me; You endured it because You loved me. Oh Father, how great is Your love for me!

My Jesus, it is in Your name I pray,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment